So, we’re two years into our Grain-Free and Paleo lifestyle and what a difference it has made. Figuring out what to eat has become second nature and since real food that heals the body is the goal, the combination of turmeric and avocado is perfect! Say hello to Turmeric Chicken Salad Avocado Boats.
Benefits of Turmeric
For a while now, I’ve been sprinkling turmeric into our morning green shakes, into my tea, into just about everything I cook…especially curries and most of my chicken dishes. Not only does it add the flavors of India, but there are many health benefits in turmeric. For one, it’s an anti-inflammatory, thanks to the curcumin in turmeric, and I have learned from personal experience, the less inflammation I have in my body, the less my body hurts (lower back pain especially) and the healthier I am. But, don’t take my word for it, see what research and what Dr Axe says about the healing properties of this amazing spice – you will be amazed!
The Goodness of Avocado
I can go on and on about how great avocados are – full of heart healthy fats, fiber, vitamin A, folate, potassium (more than bananas!) and so much more. This superfood is also full of anti-oxidants which help in the battle against free radicals wreaking havoc in your body. Dr Axe (can you tell I love Dr Axe?) feels avocados should be “ranked as one of the top five healthiest foods on the planet”. Read why in his article about the benefits of avocados.
Take it To Go – Best Lunch Ever
Almost everyday, Mark takes lunch to work. Much healthier than the cafeteria. And dare I say, more delicious too! So that’s about 260 lunches that I pack in a year. That’s a lot of lunches. At least two of those per week is a variation of green salad so I’m always looking for portable lunch ideas. Turmeric Chicken Salad Avocado Boats are perfect. You can assemble them before hand and pack them into glassware…
or cut the avocado, remove the seed, wrap them up in plastic wrap and take along a container of the Turmeric Chicken Salad – then you assemble them when you’re ready to eat them.
I had some left over chicken salad and no more avocados. No problem – it was perfect wrapped in butter lettuce. I also have been known to just eat this right out of the bowl!!
Turmeric Chicken Salad Avocado Boats
Prep the Avocado
In picking out your avocados, make sure they give just a bit when you squeeze them. You definitely don’t want rock hard avocados, but you also should avoid really mushy ones too. Using a large chef’s knife, carefully slice through the avocado lengthwise until you feel the knife touch the pit. Then, keeping the knife steady, rotate the avocado, making a cut around the pit. Then, twist the two halves apart.
To remove the pit, carefully whack the pit with the thick end of the blade (closest to the handle). Carefully twist the knife and the pit should come right out, still stuck on the knife. Be extra careful when removing the pit from the knife blade.
Using a small paring knife, score each avocado into squares being careful no to break the skin. Because most likely your hand is right under that avocado skin. You can also do this on a cutting board instead of in your hand.
Make the Turmeric Chicken Salad
This part is really easy. Since I almost always have some of my Best Roasted Chicken Ever on hand, that’s what I use in this recipe. You can also use a store bought rotisserie chicken (organic if you can find it). Mix the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix it until it’s all combined. This recipe is delicious as is, however, you can also get very creative here and add additional items. I’ve tried diced apples, walnuts, thinly sliced radishes, chopped red peppers, curry powder – the list is limitless! Change it up and get creative!
Because avocados are filling, two halves make a perfect lunch for Mark. One half was plenty for me.
In case you want to Pin and save it for later (and pinning is greatly appreciated!):
Turmeric Chicken Salad Avocado Boats
- 2 avocados ripe
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 stalk green onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- fine sea salt, fresh cracked pepper to taste
Preparing the Avocado Boats
- Using a large chef knife, carefully slice through the avocado lengthwise until you feel the knife touch the pit. Then, keeping the knife steady, rotate the avocado, making a cut around the pit. Then, twist the two halves apart.
- To remove the pit, carefully whack the pit with the thick end of the blade (closest to the handle). Carefully twist the knife and the pit should come right out, still stuck on the knife. Be extra careful when removing the pit from the knife blade.
- Using a small paring knife, score each avocado into squares being careful no to break the skin.. because most likely your hand is right under that avocado skin. You can also do this on a cutting board instead of in your hand. Set the avocado boats aside.
Preparing the Turmeric Chicken Salad
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped chicken, avocado mayonnaise, mustard, celery, green onion and turmeric. Stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with fine sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to your liking.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture into each avocado boat. Serve immediately or pack into glassware and refrigerate - makes an awesome brown bag lunch.