I used to be a pasta girl. It was right up there on my all time favorite food list, just beneath bacon and ribs. When I gave up grains, I wondered how was I going to survive without pasta? Let me tell you, I’m surviving just fine. Enter ZOODLES, stage left.
If you haven’t heard of zoodles yet (really?), it’s spiralized zucchini. Perhaps you’ve seen them in your local grocery store, looking almost like spaghetti noodles and costing a fortune for the convenience of someone else spriralizing them for you.
So this is where you become a DIYer (do-it-yourself-er). Spiralizers are all the rage now because people are eating healthier and looking for an alternative to pasta. I love my spiralizer – I make spaghetti, scampi, beef noodles, pho…all with zoodles. This is the spiralizer that I use and love here. It has become one of my most used kitchen gadgets since going grain-free.
But don’t take my word for it…watch how quick and easy making your own zoodles can be!
Didn’t I tell you it was easy? So…let’s get this recipe started. This is so quick and easy. This can be served as a side dish or, top it with grilled chicken and make a meal out of it. This recipe is more about the Lemony “Pasta” so I’m going to assume you can grill a chicken breast. I just season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and then grill it (stove top for me in the winter!) about 5 minutes per side.
Not many ingredients needed for this recipe.
In a saute pan or skillet, heat the oil and then saute the garlic, red pepper flakes and thyme until the garlic has softened.
This is where it comes together so quickly. Add in the asparagus first, then the lemon juice and zoodles, then the tomatoes and zest. Remove from heat and sprinkle the parsley on.
Serve immediately as a side dish…
… or topped with grilled chicken.
For the Pinterest Pinners:
Kitchen Equipment Used:
Lemony "Pasta" with Asparagus, Tomatoes, and Grilled Chicken
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 zucchini, spiralized into zoodles
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- fine sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to tast
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, optional, omit if vegan or vegetarian
- In a saute pan over medium high heat, add oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, and thyme. Saute until garlic is soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the asparagus and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes or so, just until the asparagus is starting to soften.
- Add in the lemon juice and the zoodles and gently toss for another 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and lemon zest and gently toss another 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle on the parsley, quick toss, and adjust the seasoning with fine sea salt and pepper to your liking.Serve immediately, topped with optional grilled chicken.